The Eurasian Coalition on Male Health (ECOM) is looking for a consultant(s) to develop Guidelines on Social Accountability for high-level officials and politicians. Guidelines should help key community organizations to build and develop effective communication and constructive cooperation with functionaries and high-level officials in their countries to ensure that gay men, other MSM and trans* people have timely access to the quality sexual health services that members of this key population group need.
This work is a part of ECOM’s regional program “Right to Health”. More information about the program is available on the website of ECOM: www.ecom.ngo
ECOM is an international non-governmental membership organization registered in Tallinn, Estonia. We are an association of non-governmental organizations and individuals working in the field of HIV infection and other sexual health issues of gays, other MSM and trans* people in the countries of Central and Eastern Europe and Central Asia (CEECA).
In January 2017, ECOM has launched a regional program “Right to health”, which received the support of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. The program aims to create the conditions that are needed to expand sustainable access for gay men, other MSM and trans* people to efficacious and rights-based services in the field of HIV prevention and treatment.
The purpose of the consultant’s work:
Enhance social accountability of high-level officials and politicians in relation to the decisions taken by them in the field of gay men’s health, other MSM and trans * people
Tasks for the consultant:
Compile the best practices describing the organization and development of coordination and cooperation of high-level officials and politicians (parliamentarians, government officials and experts, academic experts, country representatives in international structures) with representatives, activists and organizations of key communities (MSM, trans people, drug users, sex workers, people living with HIV). Examples should be collected both from public materials (reports, presentations, articles, etc.), and through a survey/interviewing of leaders of sub-recipient organizations of “Right to Health” program and other respondents (for example, representatives of UN agencies and international humanitarian and charitable programs and organizations working in the field of supporting the development of community systems and advocacy). The list of respondents is coordinated with the ECOM and should include at least 15 and not more than 25 people. Special focus should be given to examples from the countries of Central and Eastern Europe and Central Asia, as well as the following issues:
- How can high-level officials and politicians effectively improve the knowledge of key community representatives about government policies and programs aimed at protecting health in these key communities?
- How to build sustainable dialogue platforms and channels for constructive dialogue between government structures and vulnerable and marginalized communities in the country?
- How can high-level politicians and other representatives of government structures can use international initiatives and activities to support national dialogue and cooperation between community representatives and government representatives?
- How high-level politicians and other government representatives can build coalitions and other collaborations with community representatives to improve the quality of data used in decision-making through national and international programs and initiatives (for example, to implement the “90-90-90″ strategy and other tasks within the framework of the Sustainable Development Goals) concerning the health of representatives of key communities.
The results of the consultant’s work are to be presented in the form of a report/review in Russian or English. The volume of the document is from 30 to 40 “author’s pages”. (1 author’s page equals 1,800 characters, excluding spaces.)
Prepare on the basis of the report/review a set of slides (10-12 slides with explanations to them) that can be used as a basis for a webinar.
Coordination and communication within the framework of work
Work has to be carried out in coordination with representatives of sub-recipient organizations of Regional Program. Contact details will be provided by ECOM.
Coordinator of Technical Support of ECOM will be responsible for coordinating between the work of the consultant and other activities of Regional Program.
The report/review prepared by the consultant will be used further to strengthen the advocacy work of key community organizations, primarily LGBT organizations, in Europe and Central Asia.
Time frame of work
All work must be completed before January 20, 2018.
The work plan should be coordinated with the ECOM no later than December 1, 2017.
The first draft of the text of the Guidelines should be ready and submitted to EKOM by
December 20, 2017.
Comments on the first draft of the text will be provided within 5 working days.
Expected results and estimated cost of work
Compile best practices in organizing and developing the coordination and cooperation of high-level politicians and officials with representatives and activists of vulnerable communities. Arrange the report with an overview of best practices. The volume of the document is from 30 to 40 “author’s pages”. (1 author’s page equals to 1800 signs excluding spaces.) A set of slides (12-15 slides with explanations to them) should be prepared with the report, a set can be used as a basis for the webinar.
Estimated cost of work: up to 2600 euros (including income tax, paid by the consultant independently).
Editing of the original text of the report and slides.
Estimated cost of work: up to 400 euros.
Translation and editing of the report and the set of slides into Russian (if the original is in English) or in English (if the original is in Russian).
Estimated cost of work: up to 600 euros.
Reward and Compensation
The amount of reward is a subject of negotiations between the applicant and ECOM before the contract is signed.
A service contract will be signed between the consultant and the EKOM, according to contract ECOM will not be liable for the payment of any taxes by the consultant. The consultant does independently all the necessary taxes and other payments by the law of the country of residence of the consultant.
Qualification requirements for a consultant
- Good knowledge of attitudes and practices in advocacy.
- Good skills in working with legislative and by-laws of the countries of Eastern Europe and Central Asia, primarily for the promotion of human rights and legislation that protects the interests of vulnerable social groups.
- Presence of experience of desk job with sources, both paper and accessible through the Internet.
- Good interviewing skills.
- Experience of at least 3 publications describing best practices in advocacy and / or cooperation between NGOs, government organizations and politicians.
- Good knowledge of Russian and English for oral and written communication.
Process and deadlines for submitting applications
Applications are accepted from individuals only (both from individual and group of persons). Interested parties should submit their applications via e-mail, specifying the “Social Accountability Guidelines” in the subject line. The letter should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Each consultant must submit a separate application. The cover letter should indicate if the consultant is applying in coordination with other consultants.
The deadline for applications is November 15, 2017, 23:59 Eastern European time.
The application from the consultant should contain:
- A cover letter, an indication of which tasks the consultant is willing to perform and whether the application is being submitted in coordination with other consultants (if so, with which).
- A summary clearly showing the consultant’s experience / expertise required.
- Brief description of the approach and steps to perform the work (no more than 2 pages) describing the prospective schedule of the consultant’s work, the way of action, people and organizations that will be involved, and so on.
ECOM does not return the materials sent.
EKOM thanks in advance all those who show interest in this work and asks the applicants to take into account that only candidates who meet the requirements presented in this announcement will be notified of the results of consideration of their applications.
If you have any questions, please contact Gennady Roshchupkin, ECOM Technical Support Coordinator: email@example.com