ECOM – Eurasian Coalition on Health, Rights, Gender and Sexual Diversity (ECOM) is soliciting proposals from individual consultants to conduct a research to analyze legal environments, related to SOGI and HIV services for MSM and trans people in the 11 countries in CCECA.
ECOM is an international non-governmental association, located in Tallinn, Estonia. We are a membership based association open for non-profits and individuals acting in the field of sexual health, including HIV issues, for gay men and other men who have sex with men (MSM) and trans people, in the region of Eastern Europe and Central Asia (EECA).
Description of Services required and Timelines
The goal for this research is to describe the current status of legal environments for HIV services for gay men, other MSM and trans people (including issues of stigma and discrimination, human rights, and legal and policy barriers).
The consultant is expected to:
(1) update previously developed protocol and tools, including scoring table to give quantitative comparable information for content analysis of the documents;
(2) with assistance of national consultants to collect appropriate national data about legal situation of gay men and trans people in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russia, Tajikistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.
(3) review and analyze the documents;
(4) prepare an analytical regional summary report on 11 mentioned countries;
(5) in-depth summary national report on Armenia, Georgia, Moldova, Russia and Ukraine.
The consultant will work closely with the ECOM Human Rights and Legal Issues Coordinator.
- Updated desk research protocol and tool(s) including scoring table to give quantities comparable information on the current legislative barriers to gay men, other MSM and trans people accessing HIV and general health services;
- Updated ToR for national consultants;
- Collection of appropriate national documents with assistance of national consultants;
- Regional report with results profiles for each of the 11 target countries (example here), including:
- Travel restriction and immigration for people living with HIV;
- Criminalization of HIV transmission;
- Blood donation for MSM;
- Access for NGOs working with MSM or LGBT to the state funding to provide social and health services;
- Legislation and policies in the sphere of sexual orientation and gender identity
(criminalization of same-sex relations; prohibition of so-called “gay propaganda”; legal gender recognition and related procedures; legal status of same-sex couples);
- Freedom of expression and assembly in the context of LGBT community;
- Anti-discrimination laws – in particular, in relation to sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression;
- Hate crimes (homophobia and transphobia based).
- LGBT youth participation in decision-making processes.
- Additionally: status of ratification of International Human Rights Treaties.
- In-depth national level reports on 5 countries: Armenia, Georgia, Moldova, Russia and Ukraine. (example here)
Budget allocation will cover the costs for implementing the desk review in the period between 15 March and 30 July 2021, maximum 20 working days.
- At least Master’s degree in Law, Human Rights, International Relations, Political Science or relevant issues;
- At least 3 years of experience as an analyst/consultant;
- Experience in LGBT-related research in at least two or more EECA countries;
- Effective command skills in Russian and English.
- Experience in scholar research and publications on stigma, prejudice and discrimination, preferably those concerning LGBT;
- Experience in qualitative research;
- Previous working experience with NGOs;
- Fluency in language(s) of EECA countries other than Russian is an asset.
Consultant(s) with a proposal that demonstrates experience of effectively analyzing documents and knowledge of HIV and LGBT situation in EECA countries, clear methodology, competitive rate and timeline will be selected.
Applications must be submitted by email with a reference ‘Legal Environment Assessment 2021‘ at email@example.com.
Deadline for submission: 23 March 2021 at 23:59 EET.
Applications should include:
- Cover Letter outlining experience in conducting similar work along with CV;
- Brief proposal (2 pages max) outlining methodology, design, timetable and budget (daily rate) ;
- Two samples of previous analytical reports.
Thank you for understanding that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For more information, prospective consultants may contact Yuri Yoursky, ECOM Human Rights and Legal Issues Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org