The Eurasian Coalition on Male Health held the 2nd Regional Consultation on HIV among MSM and Trans People in Eastern Europe and Central Asia on 31 May – 1 June 2018 in Tbilisi, Georgia.
The goal of the Consultation is to strengthen the regional response to the HIV epidemic among MSM and trans people in Eastern Europe and Central Asia.
- Review the progress in implementation of the recommendations of the 1st Regional Consultation held in 2010.
- Present the results of regional research studies and use them to develop recommendations for quality improvement of strategic information on the HIV epidemic among MSM and trans people in EECA.
- Present the best regional practices and innovations in response to the HIV epidemic among MSM and trans people.
- Discuss the issues of funding and sustainability of the HIV programs for MSM and trans people.
- Discuss and adopt a regional advocacy strategy in response to the HIV epidemic among MSM and trans people in EECA and develop recommendations for its implementation at the national and regional level.
The Organizing Committee included members of LGBT community organizations, regional HIV experts, representatives of governmental authorities, UN agencies, and ECOM.
Key topics of the Consultation:
- Access of MSM and trans people to quality HIV services
- Impact of the legal environment on the dynamics of HIV epidemic among MSM in the region
- Innovative approaches to working with MSM and trans people
- Trans people and HIV epidemic in the region
- Community participation in decision-making processes and impact on the epidemic
- Sustainability and funding of services
The first day of the Consultation will be dedicated to the topic “Challenges – Regional Dynamics” to discuss key trends in the development of the HIV epidemic among MSM and trans people at the global and regional level; innovative approaches to curbing the epidemic; mobilization, advocacy and multidisciplinary approach in working with trans people; issues and challenges related to funding of HIV programs among MSM; presentation of a research study on participation of MSM and trans people in the national decision-making processes, etc.
The second day of the Consultation will be dedicated to the topic “Opportunities – Responses and Recommendations”, with presentations on the experience of cooperation with governmental agencies in the funding of the MSM services. Besides, the Consultation will include discussions on the issues of community capacity building, human rights in HIV response, sustainability and standardization of services for MSM and trans people as well as a presentation of the regional program to promote reforms and the media campaign.
The evening program will offer the participants to take part in the Sex Toys workshop and presentation of the film “Listen to Me: Untold Stories Beyond Hatred.”
The Regional Consultation will also include an exhibition of awareness-raising materials, innovations, research findings, photo and video projects.
Participants of the Consultation:
About 100 participants from Eastern Europe and Central Asia (EECA) are expected to take part in the Regional Consultation representing MSM and LGBT community-based and non-governmental organizations, as well as governmental agencies, international and donor organizations and UN agencies.
Registration of participants will be based on ECOM invitations. If you are ready to cover the costs of your own participation in the Consultation, please contact the Secretariat.